Background of our Student Council
Inspired by Deputy Principal Ms Farrell, and supported by Assistant Principal Ms O’Rourke, September 2018 saw the establishment, for the first time in St. Peter’s NS, of a Student Council. It comprises of a boy and girl each from classes 3rd to 6th inclusive – 8 students in total.
Class elections are held, with candidates presenting their manifestos to their fellow pupils. We are reliably informed that there are usually many interesting proposals – including some that raise a few eyebrows!! Support is enthusiastic and vocal with voting close and intense but eventually we have white smoke!
The Council gives our students a voice in many of the decisions and policies affecting the school. Examples would be in such areas as homework, anti bullying, cyber technology, behaviour and recreational activities. We think that this is going to be a very valuable addition going forward to the whole school community in Dromiskin.
2020-2021 School Year
Ms Lynch and Ms Loughran have hosted two meetings with the Student Council since returning to school in April. The school children are represented by the following elected students:
Third Class: Sadhbh, Summer & Conor
Third Class: Leona & Senan
Fourth Class: Harry & Aoibhínn
Fifth Class: Tighnearnach & Tatiana
Sixth Class: Emily & Ethan.
We are currently working with the Parents’ Council to promote our school fundraiser: Sponsored 3km Walk which each class will undertake in June. We hope to raise funds for new school equipment and resources for each class.
The student councillor are elected in their class to:
- Go to Student Council meetings and take part in discussions.
- Let their class know what was discussed at meetings.
- Take the views of classmates to the Student Council.
- Be involved in projects that the Student Council runs.
What we’ve achieved so far….
- Bins in Infant play area
- Compost bins outdoors
- Extra goalposts for playtime
- Dreamtime Garden poster competition
- 3rd Class moving to the larger football pitch
- 1st/2nd Classes sharing the basketball court
- Car park safety awareness
- Consulted with Health Promotion team
- Promoted World Book Day Dress-up