Student Council 2018-19
Inspired by Deputy Principal, Ms Farrell, September 2018 saw the establishment, for the first time in St. Peter’s NS, of a Student Council. It comprises of a boy and girl each from classes 3rd to 6th inclusive – 8 students in total. However at present we have nine members because, believe it or not, there was a tie in 3rd class!! The council will be augmented on occasion and supported by Ms Farrell and Assistant Principal Ms O Rourke.
Class elections were held, with candidates presenting their manifestos to their fellow pupils. We are reliably informed that there were many interesting proposals – including some that raised a few eyebrows!! Support was enthusiastic and vocal with voting close and intense but eventually we had white smoke!
The Council gives our students a voice in many of the decisions and policies affecting the school. Examples would be in such areas as homework, anti bullying, cyber technology, behaviour and recreational activities. We think that this is going to be a very valuable addition going forward to the whole school community in Dromiskin.
What we’ve achieved so far this year…..
- Bins in Infant play area
- Compost bins outdoors
- Extra goalposts for playtime
- Dreamtime Garden poster competition
- 3rd Class moving to the larger football pitch
- 1st/2nd Classes sharing the basketball court
- Car park safety awareness
- Consulted with Health Promotion team
- Promoted World Book Day Dress-up
What we’re working on now…..
- Planning a fundraiser for another Buddy Bench
- Technology poster competition